Information for Current Grads

Congratulations on being accepted into a graduate program at the W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation!  The following information will help you orient to the college and our graduate program.

Graduate student handbook and forms


Structure of the W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation 

The CFC is divided into the following departments:

Each faculty member is associated with one of these departments. As a graduate student, you are associated with the department to which your committee chair belongs. 

Department Administrative Associates

The College has four administrative associates and they play an important role in supporting graduate students. Please start with them if you need assistance in regard to nonacademic questions (issues like assistance with travel paperwork, office assignments, mailboxes, and key requests) or for reserving CFC rooms and equipment (CFC or UM fleet vehicles, conference rooms, laptops, projectors, laser pointers and conference phones). Any CFC administrative associate will be happy to assist you, but try to work through the administrative associate who is the primary support for your graduate committee chairperson. Ask your committee chair if you are uncertain which administrative associate provides their primary support.

Course Requirements and Deadlines

Shonna Trowbridge (FOR 103B; 406-243-4844) and Wendy Maltonic (FOR 103C; 406-243-6655) help students understand course requirements, committee appointments, deadlines and scholarships. You can also find any information about requirements, and deadlines in the CFC Graduate Student HandbookLisa Mills (FOR 103C; 406-243-5272) fills the same role for Wildlife Biology students and there are Graduate Student Regulations on the Wildlife Biology web site.

Office Space and Mailboxes

We try to provide office space for as many graduate students as possible. The college council makes the official decision on office space based on the student's need and availability. Graduate students that are interested in office space should contact their department's administrative associate. If your office space is located in the Clapp building, your mailbox will be in the Clapp mail room. If your office is located in the Forestry, Stone Hall or Bioresearch buildings, your mailbox will be in the CFC Main Office.


If you need to get keys for rooms or buildings that are under the control of the CFC, please see your administrative associate. Keys are $13 each plus a $5 non-refundable materials/labor fee.

Computer Accounts

All graduate students can have a computer account through the CFC (in addition to their UM account) and their information will be backed up. You will need to go to the main office in the Forestry building, room 109, and fill out a network account form. Your account will be ready within 24 hours. Each semester you will be allowed to print approximately 200 black and white pages; this allowance does not carry over into the next semester. For additional printer credit, stop by the CFC Main Office to add money to your account.

You will want to be added to the CFC graduate student email distribution list. Send an email to the IT staff indicating that you are a new graduate student and would like to be added to the “grads” email distribution list. Important announcements, course updates, deadlines, and other information are sent to graduate students via this distribution list.

Field Equipment Check-out

The college has equipment that can be checked out for field work. Some examples are: loggers tape/D tape, compasses, clinometers, increment borers, relascopes, measuring tapes and more. You can contact Marie Rothell, FM administrative associate (CHCB 401; 406-243-5529) for a complete list of available equipment and for checkout.

The College also has GPS units and digital cameras for use. Please see the CFC IT office located in FOR 202 for more information and checkout.

Accounting Information

Laurie Belcher (Forestry 112; 406-243-6782) is the Director of Accounting and Fiscal Operations for the CFC and she has four other staff members working with her. Each accounting employee works with a specific department.

Please see the CFC Accounting Quick Reference Guide for information on who you should see for travel paperwork, grant assistance, payroll information and more.

Our Travel Policies & Procedures Handout can provide you with additional information before you plan to travel.

Graduate Contracts or Student Pay Information

If you are being provided a Research Assistantship through your major professor, then he/she will need to make sure the W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation’s Accounting Office has that information. Once that information is relayed to them, they will be able to generate a graduate contract for you. If you are being provided a Teaching Assistantship through the College, again the Accounting Office will be generating that contract for you. If you are going to be paid from the college other than by a graduate contract, the Accounting Office will make sure the correct paperwork is completed including a hiring packet. UM's Grad School web site details fees and other costs.

Calendar of Events

We have events (such as seminars, deadlines, special events and more) posted on the CFC homepage. Please check often for new updates. You can also add this calendar as an RSS feed to your email inbox. For help setting this up, please contact our IT Office.

To have your thesis defense posted on our calendar, please contact your Administrative Associate with the date, time and place.